Reporting to the Executive Director and working with the Venture Kamloops team, this position is responsible for leading and implementing economic development initiatives in the areas of business attraction, retention and expansion and to support business within the city of Kamloops.
1. Develop and implement business attraction initiatives to increase the awareness of Kamloops to external marketplaces by:
- Building and maintaining a prospect list of key companies, centres of influence and associations to increase the awareness of the opportunities in Kamloops.
- Building and maintaining relationships and networks with local and external key stakeholders to assist with the investment and business attraction initiatives.
- Initiating and maintaining strategic relationships with prospective business relocation decision makers.
- Performing national and international sales missions to identified markets and sectors to promote and encourage business growth.
- Identifying market opportunities by analyzing sector and market news and trends, assessing the competitive marketplace, examining emerging trends and opportunities and identifying community strengths and competitive advantages.
- Planning and executing external business attraction and relocation presentations to key business associations, government agencies, and centres of influence to encourage relocation or expansion in our market.
- Coordinating and undertaking business prospect familiarization and site selection tours.
Business Retention and Expansion (BR&E)
2. Manage an ongoing BR&E survey to local businesses, associations, industry sectors and professional organizations to determine business needs, investment opportunities, barriers and potential solutions facing the business community.
3. Compile and report information to assist with the development of new programs and focus for Venture Kamloops.
4. Network and develop strategic partnerships with the local business community, associations and all levels of government and industry associations to promote and facilitate business retention and expansion services.
5. Assist with the development of reducing key barriers to growth and expansion for businesses.
6. Develop and implement a business start-up resource and referral programs to promote economic gardening by:
- Identifying research and delivering information for new entrepreneurs.
- Providing first step assistance to prospective entrepreneurs.
- Leading and developing VK Advisors Program.
- Creating and implementing marketing strategies to promote entrepreneurialism resources at Venture Kamloops.
- Partnering with local, regional and provincial partners and associations to develop infrastructure, programs and services supporting entrepreneurialism.
- Managing an entrepreneurial intake system including meetings, follow up and reporting.
Communication and Marketing
7. Develop and implement marketing tools to promote Venture Kamloops service and programs, in collaboration with Venture Kamloops staff and contractors.
8. Participate and attend relevant and approved industry association conferences and trade shows to promote the City, build networks and contacts and gain industry knowledge.
9. Respond to all inquiries regarding economic development.
10. Work collaboratively with Venture Kamloops staff to support the vision and mandate of Venture Kamloops.
11. Assist with the development of the annual Venture Kamloops work plan; ensure an implementation plan is developed, monitored and reported on.
12. Manage assigned resources and budget, monitor, track and conduct cost benefit analysis.
13. Maintain a client management procedure and tracking system that includes prospecting, reactive inquiries, follow up and customer management activities.
14. Work with relevant community organizations in developing and delivering programs and initiatives.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
University degree in Commerce, Economics, Business Administration or related field with a minimum of five (5) to seven (7) year’s recent, related experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Certification in Economic Development (eg. Ec.D or C.EcD,), marketing/advertising, or commercial real estate sector experience an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in creating, implementing and maintaining economic development strategies, programs and services.
- Strong knowledge of local, regional, national and international economic matters, including key industries, partnerships, associations, challenges and opportunities that may exist.
- Exceptional presentation, reporting and communication skills.
- Strong ability to develop and maintain strong relationships and partnerships.
- Possesses a strong network and able to prospect new relationships.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and a team player; professional at all times.
- Demonstrated proficiency in forms of communication, particularly verbal and written.
- Strong organizational skills, organizational commitment, and ability to align with the organizational values and priorities.
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Proven time management, multi-tasking and ability to meet tight timelines.
- Ability to analyze and report on data and findings.
- Must have a client centric and client first attitude.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel software, as well as social media
- Ability to travel, work after hours and occasional weekends as required.
Thursday, April 7, 2017 at 4:00pm
To apply, submit your résumé and accompanying cover letter via email to:
We thank all applicants for applying, however we will only be contacting those who are short listed for an interview. Venture Kamloops is posting two opportunities. Only one position is currently available at this time and will be filled by the most qualified applicant.